Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Turbulence

Who remembers the weather last Saturday?  Let me refresh your memory....wind, rain, and more wind.  All week I had been planning a long practice run of 15 miles to take place Saturday morning.  This was going to be my first time at that distance and I was excited.  However, as the week progressed and the predicted forecast grew more and more dismal, my anticipation grew increasingly weak.

I woke up at 5:45am Saturday to rain and wind...but at least it was 47 degrees outside!  Hey, I like to look on the bright side of things :)  I was reluctant to go out but Matt said, "just go, it'll be good practice and you'll be glad you did."  My reply, "well, I guess even if I only get 6 miles in, that's better than nothing."  He confidently said, "you'll do it all."  I'm pretty sure I quietly thought, "yeah, whatever."

Driving to the park, I had my wipers on low (there was too much rain for even the intermittent setting)...ugh!  To my surprise, on a day when 100% chance of rain was called for, it stopped raining when I stepped out of the car...so off I ran.  I managed to log all 15 miles and remained dry.  (I am certain that was a God given blessing because 15 minutes after I got home it poured!)  The WIND, however, was another whole story!  I have run in windy conditions before but not like this!  The whole time I was out there, all I kept thinking was..."push through the turbulent times."  Of course, this was with dual interpretation- physical and spiritual.

Physically, I was straining my body to push through crazy gusts of wind.  They were not constant but when they came, they came in full force!  I refused to back down.  I kept thinking, "I'm running in this ugliness for a reason.  God told me to do this.  He sacrificed His son through a brutal and deadly beating and crucifixion so that I can know and have the love of Jesus living in me FOREVER.  The least I can do is train through a couple hours of insane wind towards a goal that was God given to begin with."

Just as the wind was in my face, trying to tear me down physically, satan is always in our face trying to tear us down in whatever way he can.  What is important is how we respond to the troubling times.  Do you complain and run away or do you face it head on, knowing Jesus is on your side armed and ready to help you persevere?  The Bible says that even as believers we will encounter trouble.  Again, what is important is what you do when these tough times consume us.  Scripture clearly shows God's promise to be there for us if we just seek and trust Him. 

John 16:33  Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have
                     overcome the world."

James 1:2-3  Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.    James 1:12  Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Proverbs 11:8  The righteous person is rescued from trouble, and it falls on the wicked instead.   (Sounds like a good deal to me...who can refuse that.)

Psalm 46:1  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

I could not have completed that run if I had not trusted in the Lord that He would help me finish.  I hope that next time you encounter turbulence in your life, these verses will remind you that He who gave you life now and forever will ALWAYS be there for you!!  His love never fails and never ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment