Thursday, July 21, 2011

Opportunity Knocks on the Allegheny Passage

Up to this point, I have done most of my running at Boyce Park.  This past Saturday, I was scheduled for a long run and really wanted some different scenery.  Let's face it, there are only so many roads and trails at Boyce so I end up repeating the same loops many times to log my necessary distance.  Matt's birthday was last weekend and I also wanted to do something he would enjoy.  So, our family took a trip to Little Boston and boarded the Allegheny Passage trail.  We didn't know exactly what to expect but it turned out to be GREAT!  I ran (20miles) of new scenery on a flat ground dirt/stone path while Matt biked, pulling the girls in a trailer.  There was even a fantastic playground for the kids to entertain them before and after their bike ride.  Afterwards, we sat on a little grass ledge overlooking the river and had a picnic together.  It was a great family day...and the town of Little Boston was having their annual town yard sales so we even left with a few new treasures!  We will be going back in two weeks when I run long again...can't wait!

I was in the minority there...most everyone was biking the trail.  Somehow I came into conversation with an older man biking.  He asked how far I was running (I was wearing a camelbak water supply which meant I was in for some distance).  When I told him, he thought I was crazy.  OPPORTUNITY?  I think so!  He biked my pace for the next 15 min while I got to share my entire story.  I'll never know what he thought or if hearing it impacted him in any way but I like to think it did.  After all, God works in mysterious ways and I am confident that He has bigger things to come out of this than just running and raising money but also touching souls and inspiring people to take action towards bettering their own physical and spiritual well-being.

"...that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ..."  Colossians 4:3     ~That is exactly what He did on July 16, 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment